Tuesday, October 2, 2012

ETHIOPIA - DAY 4

After playing with kids all afternoon, plus adjusting to the new time zone, I was more than exhausted when I laid down for bed on Sunday evening.  Though my body was ready for nothing more than a good night's rest, my mind was racing with anticipation because the next day I would get to meet the child I sponsor through Compassion International!! 

Monday morning we ate, had a daily devotional with all of the BCI staff, and our group headed to the new school - BCI Academy.  The Art, Sports, and Music teachers were gone that day, so our group was assigned the task of teaching those subjects for the day!! Though Jessica (our leader) and I came to see the school, we did not stay for the day because we were spending the late morning / early afternoon with our sponsor children!

On our way back to the Guest House we passed roaming donkeys, families building their own homes with scarce supplies, horse carts acting as taxis, small children playing in a garbage dump, and a few stray dogs.  Our desolate surroundings really put things into perspective - that although amidst our excitement to meet our sponsor children in person, the poverty that infiltrated everything we saw is still a daily lifestyle for so many people in this world today, including the children we were about to meet.

Though the walk was sobering, my joy and happiness was soon escalated!  I was slightly nervous to meet Dereje (pronounced "Dare zh a" - the je is like the ge in beige) because I was super excited and I thought I may frighten him with being a little over-the-top!  But the first moment I met him was so absolutely perfect!!  We were getting ready to turn to go into the Guest House, but there was a group of people standing on the other side of the street (which did not phase me whatsoever because there are people standing on the streets everywhere).  But as I am turning to go into the gate, this beautiful little boy comes running toward me, all of a sudden it "clicked" that this was Dereje!!



I quickly dropped to my knees and wrapped him in my embrace.  Both of us were crying and neither in a hurry to let go, but his mom came over and pulled him away so she could give me a big hug!  The translator was there, trying to tell me that his mom was so thankful that I came and she loves me and is so happy to see me. 

I ran inside to grab my gifts for him and then we were off to spend some time at a local restaurant that had some area to play outside.  Dereje was nothing but smiles and he held my hand nearly the entire afternoon! 

We took a taxi to Pyramid where he opened his presents, we played on the playground, and I was able to talk with him and his mom through the help of our translator.  I was able to see his medical and school records, as well as all of the letters I have written him!  The translator used to be a Compassion child and he was able to explain the details of what my sponsorship does for Dereje and what it means to be sponsored as a child.  Dereje told me that when he grows up he wants to be a doctor so that one day he can provide for his mom and for me the way that we have provided for him.  Praise God for this loving little boy!!

We played for a few hours, then had lunch (him eating a burger and fries while I ate Ethiopian food!!).  It was so amazing to see his gentle, loving, and giving spirit.  Dereje prayed over our meal and he was always trying to give his food to those at the table so everyone could have a taste.  He is such a great big brother and I am so thankful that God led me to this outstanding little boy!

If you ever want to talk about the blessings of child sponsorship, please don't ever hesitate to talk with me!  I pray that if you have not yet made a decision to help release a child from poverty in the name of Jesus Christ, that you would do so today!!





God doesn't show favoritism, but in every nation the person who fears God and does righteousness is acceptable to Him.  - Acts 10:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment